The perfect haircut is more than just a little trim! Before booking a Haircut appointment, determine your face shape so you will know exactly what to ask for. You can, of course, ask the experts at Imagination Hair Castle Hill for more hands-on advice. But, if you want to have a basic idea of what to go for, here are some tips.
First, we will start with determining what face shape you have. You can note the measurements of your face to determine your shape.
- Forehead: Measure from the peak of one eyebrow arch to the peak of the opposite arch.
- Cheekbones: Measure across your cheekbones, starting and ending below the outermost corner of each eye.
- Jawline: Measure from the tip of your chin to your ear at the point at which your jaw angles upwards. Multiply the measurement by two to get your jawline measurement.
- Face Length: Measure from the centre of your hairline to the tip of your chin.
Once you have these measurements, compare it with the face profiles below to know which best describes your face structure.
- Oval: If face length is greater than the width of the cheekbones, and your forehead is greater than the jawline then you have an oval face. The angle of the jawline is rounded rather than sharp.
- Square: All measurements of your face are fairly similar. The angle of the jaw is sharp.
- Rectangle: If face length is the greatest measurement and forehead, cheekbones, and jawline all are similar in size then you have a rectangular face.
- Round: If cheekbones and face length are similar in measurement and they are larger than forehead and jawline, which also have a similar measurement then you have a round face. The angle of the jaw is soft and less defined.
- Diamond: Face length is largest in diamond shape faces. Then, in descending order: cheekbones, forehead, and the smallest one is jawline. The chin is pointed.
- Heart: You have a heart shape when your forehead measures greater than the cheekbones; and jawline and your chin is pointed.
- Triangular: If jawline measurement is greater than cheekbones, which is then larger than forehead, then you have a triangular face.
Now let’s discuss which haircut would suit best to your face type:
- Oval shaped women are the luckiest as they can carry almost any haircut from short bangs to long layers!
- Those with a square face should stay away from cuts that end at the jawline so that there is a softer feel.
- For heart face, try keeping the length above the shoulders so that the hair is full around the jaw. Also, side-swept fringe that shows off the forehead or layers around the cheekbones will look best, providing length to the face.
- A chin-length bob or shoulder-length style with wispy edges for women with a diamond-shaped face looks best.
- Rule of thumb for the gorgeous ladies with round face is to keep away from bobs. Long layers give more definition to round faces. The shortest layer to be below chin.
- Styles with layers that taper at the jawline can be flattering for triangular faces.
- If you have a rectangular face then keep away from haircuts that make your face appear longer. Go for volume A-line cuts.
If you love a haircut that – according to the above – doesn’t suit your face shape, forget the list. Visit Imagination Hair and we will make that particular haircut in a way that it suits your own personality. Remember, at the end of the day it’s what makes you “feel” beautiful, not just look it. No matter what the face shape, you can always carry a haircut with the right amount of confidence and flair.
For more info about hair styling, please contact us at 9680 3508.